Witness: Cops drove away with Embu brothers only

Tuesday, August 10th, 2021 00:00 |
National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi (left) condoles with John Ndwiga and Catherine Wawira, parents of slain teenagers Benson Njiru and Emmanuel Mutura at their home in Kithangari village in Kianjokoma, Embu county, yesterday. Photo/PD/COURTESY

The two brothers who were found dead in Embu morgue last week were driven to the police station where other suspects were ordered to alight before the officers under the command of two corporals drove away with them to an unknown destination.

Witnesses have discounted the police version of the circumstances leading to the death of two brothers, Emmanuel Mutura and Benson Ndwiga, in Kianjokoma, Embu county last week where they claimed the two jumped out of a moving police vehicle.

 One of the witnesses who has already recorded his statement and also spoke to People Daily said Mutura, 19, was the first to be arrested.

He said the officers started assaulting him, prompting Ndwiga, his elder brother, to come to his rescue, according to the witness.  “They had hit him on the head and was lying unconscious. One officer then hit Ndwiga and he fell on the ground. “It appeared like they assaulted him to silence him as he had witnessed his younger brother being beaten mercilessly,” he said.

After being assaulted, the two were put on the front seat of the police pickup and they drove towards Manyatta police station. Upon arrival, the police vehicle was parked near the cells where other suspects were ordered to alight. The two, however, remained in the vehicle.

“We thought they were being taken to the hospital since they were injured. We, however, did not ask where they were being taken for fear of being victimised,” the witness said.

Interfered with evidence 

It is not known what transpired but police would later report that the two could have jumped out of a moving vehicle as they were being taken to the station.

Detectives from the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) have already launched investigations into the deaths and are expected to finalise the probe next week.

Yesterday, the Speaker of National Assembly Justin Muturi urged the bodies investigating the mysterious death of the two brothers to thoroughly investigate why the police left a police vehicle that carried the bodies of the deceased to burn.

Speaking when he visited the family of the two slain teenagers, Muturi claimed police left the vehicle at the centre of  demonstrations to interfere with evidence.

“There many question marks on this issue, for instance the vehicle that was used to ferry the  two bodies  is the same vehicle that was torched by angry residents protesting over the killing of boys ,” the Speaker said.

“The implications and suggestions is that they brought it there to destroy evidence, so any possible evidence linked to it disappeared,” he added.

IPOA has warned that the identities should not be revealed until when they will be required to testify in court. Muturi also urged  agencies in the office of the Attorney General and criminal justice system responsible for implementing the Witness Protection Act to ensure all the witnesses in the case are properly protected as per the law. 

Big loss 

The Speaker lauded the Inspector General’s office for transfering Manyatta OCS Abdullahi Yaya and Embu North OCPD Emily Ngaruiya as investigations continue to ensure that the family gets justice.

He termed the killing as a big loss to the family and Embu county at large.

Police had in the past attempted to cover up the incident. When the family members visited the station the following day after the two were arrested, they were missing in the record of the people who were arrested.

According to the family, they were informed about bodies collected on the road roadside by a DCI officer from Runyenjes police station.

When the family found the bodies at Embu Level 5 hospital, Ngaruiya said the two jumped from a fast moving police vehicle.

More on News