Two young men whose bodies were recovered from Thika River were assaulted – postmortem

Friday, May 28th, 2021 12:17 |
The two youngmen whose bpdies were recovered from Thika River were tortured
Thika River:PHOTO/File

The two young men whose bodies were recovered from Thika River last week were assaulted before they were dumped into the river - autopsy report reveals.

The postmortem report has also revealed that the two men had been handcuffed before they were allegedly thrown into the swollen river.

Family members and friends who have been agitating for justice following several deferments of the postmortem exercise camped at General Kago morgue where the autopsy showed that the two had injury marks on the heads and legs.

Led by Patricia Syowai, the distraught family members lamented that their lives have taken a turn for the worst since the murder of their kin.

“There have been delays in the conduction of the postmortem exercise but we have stayed put. Today we are happy that the exercise went on well and we can now tell what killed our kin. We can now conduct burials with ease even as we pursue justice,” said Syowai.

With the release of the postmortem report, the family members said that as justice is being served, they will now be able to comfortably inter the bodies of their kin.

After searching the river for a whole week, residents of Ruburi village, Gituamba sub location in Gatanga Sub County discovered the floating bodies in the river which the family identified as those of their kin.

The bodies had bruises on the wrist, an indication that they had been handcuffed were identified to be those of Nicholas Maithya, 18, and Asman Kamau, 22.

Family members and friends called on officers investigating the incident to expedite the arrest and prosecution of persons who murdered the two. 

Residents earlier alleged that although the police who came to pick the bodies removed the handcuffs in an attempt to hide the evidence, they had already taken photos of one body which had the handcuffs on the left hand while the other body bore severe handcuffs bruises on the wrist. 

Gatanga Sub-county Police Commander Benson Muchemi who spoke on phone last week said the matter is being investigated by the DCI.

The young men were allegedly thrown into Thika river on May 18, by Administration Police officers from Gituamba Sub location in Gatanga, Murang’a County.

More on News