Three suspects in Rai Cement boss murder acquitted

Monday, October 28th, 2019 17:14 |

A Kericho court has unconditionally acquitted three murder suspects out of the six who had been accused of murdering Rai Cement factory Manager Chetan Vyas early this month over insufficient evidence.

The trio-Osman Noor, 24, Shabdin Ismail, 38, and Yacob Ali, 24 were acquitted by Kericho Chief Magistrate George Kimanga after the prosecution failed to link them to the murder incident.

However, three other suspects- Daniel Ruto 52, Michael Nicholas Mibei, 42, and Hillary Cheruiyot  Kemboi 32, were charged with robbery with violence.

They were charged that on the night between 22nd and 23rd September 2019 at Rai Cement Company Limited in Kipsitet area in Sigowet/Soin sub county within Kericho county, jointly with others not before court being armed with dangerous weapons namely a knife and axe robbed Chetan  Vyas  of his mobile phone, five suitcases with assorted items of unknown value, at or immediately before or after such time of robbery used physical violence which caused the death of the said Vyas.

One of the suspects-Nicholas Michael Mibei was also charged with an alternative charge of handling stolen goods contrary to section 322(1)(2) of the Penal Code.

He was charged that on the October, 5 2019 at Ngomwet village in Soin-Sigowet sub county within Kericho county, otherwise than in the cause of stealing, dishonestly retained an Airtel card No. 8925403502008164188 having reason to believe it to be stolen good.

They denied all the charges before Chief Magistrate George Kimanga.

Their lawyer, Momanyi Nyangiri, asked the court to release his clients on bond but the prosecution objected to the same saying if released, they will interfere with investigations.

The magistrate ordered them to be remanded at Kericho police station where they will be taken back to court today (Tuesday) for further directions.

Chetan Vyas, age, 50 was killed in cold by the suspects who gained entry his house by removing a store‚Äôs tiles and pounced on him in the bedroom where they tied his hands and legs and strangled him to death using the rope.

More on News