Taxi driver quizzed as police piece together clues in case of NHIF accountant

Tuesday, July 21st, 2020 20:36 |
Grace Andeyo
NHIF accountant Grace Andeyo. She was reported missing on Sunday, July 19, 2020. PHOTO | COURTESY
NHIF accountant Grace Andeyo. She was reported missing on Sunday, July 19, 2020. PHOTO | COURTESY

Police officers in Nairobi on Tuesday interrogated a taxi driver in bid to untangle how an accountant who was reported missing found her way home in his vehicle.

The woman, Grace Andeyo, was reported missing by her family after she could not be reached for three days.

However, as police scoured for her, a family member informed the authorities that Andeyo, who is an employee of the National Hospital Insurance Fund, had been dropped off at her house by a taxi.

Police said they rushed to the house in Kings Millennium Apartments situated in Imara Daima, Embakasi.

"On arrival at the said place, we figured out that the missing person had indeed been dropped by the said taxi, with vehicle registration no. KCS 483X. The person in question was unconscious in a manner that would suggest she had been intoxicated," said police in their report.

The family, police said, had already called in an ambulance which arrived and took the woman to Coptic Hospital.

According to the taxi driver, Gilbert Mokaya, the woman approached him while he was at the taxi stage in Imara Daima and asked to be dropped home.

"She was holding a piece of paper bearing her home address and Sh200 note. We gathered the evidence that was in that scene of crime and escorted the taxi driver involved for interrogation," said the police.

According to the initial report to the police station, Andeyo wandered off from her office at the Kenyatta National Hospital, leaving behind her car, mobile phones and bag.

As she exited the KNH gate, she left a small bag she had with a security guard promising to return.

Those at the office thought she had gone out presumably for lunch, only that she never returned.

“She left the office at 2pm and left a bag with the guard saying she would be back shortly. She never returned,” a police report indicated.

On Sunday, the accountant’s nephew, Douglas Vishia, went and reported the matter at Capitol Hill police station.

More on News