Shark attack!

Monday, January 11th, 2021 00:00 |

Barry Silah  @obel_barry

Defending Champions Gor Mahia suffered their second loss of the new BetKing Premier League campaign after their 4-3 defeat to Kariobangi Sharks yesterday at Kasarani Stadium, Nairobi.

The first half was a nightmare for K’Ogalo who conceded three goals inside 36 minutes.

The quick paced Sharks players were a dominant force especially on the flanks. Indeed, Gor Mahia looked vulnerable whenever they lost the ball with the midfield pair of Ernest Wendo and Cameroonian Bertrand Konfor being found off position.

At that point Sharks were imperious with good passes in midfield and at times toyed with the opposing players for large swathes of the match. 

Against the run of play, a quick attack initiated by Muguna found Ulimwengu in space and he hit the post after Bwire was beaten and with quick reaction, Miheso was faster to the ball and notched the equalizer in the 13th minute sparking a revival of sorts.

Two minutes later after Olwande misplaced a pass and Miheso picked the loose ball teeing off Ulimwengu who rounded off goalkeeper Bwire but that was to be declared offside by the lineman’s flag.

Six minutes after that incident,the Gor backline was found napping again as Michael Apudo easily lost his man and that brought a second goal from the Sharks’ roving right back Daniel Sakari sparking wild celebrations from the  few Sharks followers in the stadium.

A few neat interchanges between Gor Mahia players was not sufficient and in the 36th minute, Kapaito was to get to the end of a Mazembe pass and lobbed Mathews for the third and his brace of the match.

In the second half,Gor Mahia started with more purpose and fluidity as they attacked the opponents goal.

After two quick substitutes bringing John Macharia and Geoffrey Ochieng in, K’Ogalo looked alive.

The pressure then became too much for the Sharks who conceded two goals in 12 minutes as Macharia came to the end of a good Muguna cross to beat Bwire with a rasping low shot.

Later on a good cross on the right by left back Ochieng found an unmarked Oluoch in the box to score as he duly redeemed himself.

However, Gor Mahia were to blame for not marking a corner in the 70th minute after Kuol out jumped the entire defence to nod in the fourth. The resultant corner was caused by Miheso who failed to close out his opponent.

More on Sports