Police earn premier league berth after ‘arresting’ Vihiga

Monday, September 20th, 2021 00:00 |
Clinton Kinanga of Kenya Police FC celebrates after scoring against Vihiga United FC during their Second Leg play-off match held at Utalii grounds on 19 September 2021. Photo/RODGERS NDEGWA

 Kenya Police FC are the latest entrants in the Football Kenya Federation Premier League following their  2-1 aggregate win over Vihiga United in a hotly contested second leg playoff duel played at the Utalii Grounds.

The solo goal by Clinton Kinanga was enough to cancel the first leg 1-1 draw at Mumias Complex.

Elated Police coach John Bobby Ogola praised his charges and his opponents for a good fight.

“It was a very tough contest and both teams fought well. However, we took our chances and here we are.

I am happy and I am certain before the premier league calendar begins, we will be ready and at least bolster a few areas,” said the former Kenyan international.

Kinanga who scored the two goals on both legs gave himself a target of 14 goals in the forthcoming premier league campaign.

“It has been a very tough season but we are thankful we are here. I am also thrilled with my personal contribution to the team and I look forward to at least getting a minimum of 14 goals,” he said.

In the opening half, the contest was fairly even with both teams having opportunities with the ball in dangerous areas.

However it was the Police who were more lively in the opponents’ half with quick attacks from David Oluoch and Kelvin Mwaura.

The match was intense and physical, especially in the middle of the park, particularly between Police’s Soitan Silicho and Lesley Otieno of Vihiga United.

The lone goal came in the 33rd minute following a rebound penalty as lanky Kinanga was quickest to react and score from close range giving opposite goalkeeper Mustapha Oduor zero chance after initially parrying Alvin Mangeni’s spot kick.

The second half was a fairly contested half with a lot of attacks being centered from the flanks.

It was a half that saw Vihiga United push the limits but the opponents stood tall led by captain David Okiki.

 Police FC that was formed only seven years ago now have a week to sign up players as the season begins in  exactly five days time  with the transfer window closing on October 29. 

 In the 67th and 73rd minutes, Vihiga had opportunities from the left flank through Lawrence Luvanda and Kevin Otieno but the Police goalkeeper Reuben Juma was up to the task.

More on Sports