NSL: Police top as Fortune impress

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021 00:00 |
Talanta FC winger Edwin Mwaura (left) battles with Kisumu All-Stars’ Steve Otieno during their Betika National Super League match at Ruaraka grounds on Sunday. Photo/PD/David Ndolo

Barry Silah @obel_barry

Kenya Police can consider themselves very lucky after garnering six points for free after being handed two successive walkovers in the Betika National Super League  ensuring that they sit pretty at the top of the table.

As round eight of the league wound up this weekend with a total 29 goals scored, the top three, Kenya Police, Fortune Sacco and FC Talanta, are still in control of proceedings.

Police who got awarded two walkovers in the space of five days are leading the standings with 18 points after four goals were added to their figures.

The Police who were fifth place  last week with 12 points now have to thank Vihiga Bullets and Mt Kenya United for the generosity after both teams failed to take to the pitch due to lack of funds and missing an ambulance. Police now have gone 180 minutes without kicking a ball.

Meanwhile, Fortune Sacco and FC Talanta displayed their ruthless streak at the weekend to keep the league leaders on their toes.

Fortune under Nichodemus Omasete walloped visitors Silibwet Leons 4-0 at Kianyaga Stadium.

The Kirinyaga County side have 17 points with five wins and one loss in eight matches played thus far.

League newcomers Silibwet Leons are ninth on the log after back-to-back losses and are on 12 points off eight matches.

Despite the loss, Silibwet striker Dennis Cheruiyot is leading the scorers chart with six goals to his name.

FC Talanta is a rejuvenated side after years of struggle or near misses.

After recruiting former Ushuru tactician Ken Kenyatta, the Communications Authority of Kenya-sponsored side became the first team to break the unbeaten run of seventh placed Kisumu All-Stars with a 3-1 thrashing on Sunday at Ruaraka grounds as Barrack Odhiambo helped himself to a brace. 

Speaking to reporters after the match, Kenyatta spoke of renewed energy from his charges. “Players have seen the need to fight and we are ready to work.

We take one game at a time and indeed matches are tough. After our last loss, the players were down but we talked to them and we have found our momentum,” explained Kenyatta.

At the lower end of the table, Murang’a Seal and Mt Kenya United remain the only teams without a win in eight matches with the former beaten 1-3 by Shabana FC at Gusii Stadium Sunday.

Newbies Mwatate United got their second win of the campaign after a hard fought 3-2 victory over Vihiga Bullets at Wundanyi Stadium.

More on Sports