MP Johana Ngeno loses Sh4.4 million in 10 minutes as his 22 cows consume a poisonous feed

Saturday, June 13th, 2020 16:57 |
Part of Johanna Ngeno's herd that was died after consuming a suspected poisoned feed

Emurua Dikirr Member of Parliament (MP) Johanna Ngeno on Friday lost an estimated Sh4.4 million when his 22 pedigree cows died from poisoning in his Transmara farm, Narok County.

Speaking to People Daily on Saturday afternoon, the lawmaker said the herd consumed a new salt mineral and started dropping one by one.

"I am staring at a very big loss, every cow is worth Sh200,000. This loss is too heavy to bear" Said the MP.

The lawmaker said his farm workers called a veterinary doctor immediately but efforts to save the herd were futile.

MP Ngeno said they had recently bought the supplements from an agro-vet store in Nakuru after he was convinced that it would be good for his livestock.

"We bought the new feed recently and we were giving it to our livestock for the first time. We gave it first to 22 cows after which we planned to give the rest. Our farm has about 90 cows,'' he said.

The first animal dropped in two minutes after consuming the feed.

"The first one dropped in two minutes and the rest 21 were down less than ten minutes later," he added.

The MP said he spoke to the store owners demanding answers to how they could be selling a poisonous feed.

"When I called them, they told me the supplements were imported from Ireland. They convinced me that former Bomet Governor Isaac Ruto had bought a similar feed for his livestock," he said.

The lawmaker said he is seeking compensation for the losses. He has also urged Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) to do an investigation on the suspected poisonous product.

More on News