Mathare end Gor’s unbeaten run as Stima thrash Bandari in KPL mid-week matches

Thursday, November 7th, 2019 07:00 |
Villa Oronchan of Western Stima (right) attempts to go past Bandari’s Atara Amai during their mid-week Kenyan Premier League match at Kisumu’s Moi stadium yesterday. PD/DANIEL OGENDO

 By James Magayi and Daniel Ogendo

Two of Kenya’s top football sides last season, Gor Mahia and Bandari, were yesterday rudely ushered back to the Kenyan Premier League with ugly loses three days after getting tossed out of CAF Confederation Cup.

 Gor Mahia, the defending champions and hitherto unbeaten after five fixtures in the league succumbed to a late header by Mathare United’s Daniel Otieno who delightfully met Kevin Kimani’s corner in the 89th minute as Mathare United emerged 1-0 winners.

 Bandari on the other hand conceded three goals within four minutes to lose 3-1 away to Western Stima in Kisumu. The coastal club started on a high, taking the lead after thirty minutes courtesy of impressive midfielder Abdalla Hassan. Hassan met left back Fred Nkata’s peach of a cross to nod Bandari ahead but the hosts changed tune almost immediately after the break.

 Nkata, the provider for Hassan’s goal, handled in the box and Stima goalkeeper Samuel Odhiambo sprinted to the other side of the pitch to score from the spot. Bandari centre- half Brian Otieno’s bad luck struck two minutes later as he turned the ball into his own net to give Stima the lead.

 Bandari’s woes were compounded by Baron Jobita, a striker they rejected for not meeting their standards, two minutes later when he powered a cracker past Justin Ndikumana to give Stima a two-goal buffer.  Mathare United lost steam as the half time approached after starting spiritedly in Machakos. The 2008 champions pinned K’Ogalo deep into their half and came close in several occasions.

 The usually ill-tempered fixture lived up to its billing very early in the game. Tempers flared in the 14th minute when the referee waved away Mathare’s concerted pleas for a penalty and youngster James Kinyanjui became the first player to be carded for dissent. Moment later makeshift left back Lloyd Kavuchi followed Kinyanjui into the books for hacking Clifford Alwanga down and breaking up Mathare United’s promising attack. The game got feisty as Gor started to get a grip and Mathare’s talented central midfielder soon got booked for fouling Francis Afriyie in K’Ogalo’s counter attack.

 The Ghanaian missed three scoring chances towards the end of the half leaving questions and doubts lingering over his suitability. 

The midfielder was first put through by Kenneth Muguna in the 38th minute but he failed to navigate a tight angle to and directed his effort wide off from very close range. Another header from a free kick went begging then a third effort from the box as both teams headed to the break level.

More on Football