Man suspected of murdering Kilimani woman after night of partying detained

Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 15:32 |

By Alphonce Mung'ahu

A Nairobi court has granted police five more days to continue detaining a man suspected of murdering a woman whose body was found outside Santonio Court Apartments in Kilimani, Nairobi County.

Nairobi Senior Principal Magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot allowed detectives to continue holding Shem Lwanga'ula Ng'eno until Monday to complete investigations into the murder of Sheila Njeri Muruge after a night of partying.

Meanwhile, the magistrate released his two co-suspects, namely Christine Awour Aluoch and Claire Chepkoech, on a cash bail of Sh100,000 each.

This followed a successful application by their lawyer Cliff Ombeta that the suspects are unwell and continuing detaining them at police station may expose them to Covid-19.

He told the court that police have no masks at the station to give suspects held in custody

The magistrate directed them to report to the Kilimani Directorate of Criminal Investigations office daily until Monday when the case will be mentioned for further direction.

Prosecution senior state counsel Kennedy Panyako informed the court that detectives need five more days to complete investigations.

He told the court that detectives arrested the three on July 17, 2020, at Santonio Courts.

Corporal John Mmasi had told the court that Murage’s body was found dead in the morning of July 17, lying outside near a bed flower.

She had physical injuries on her back and blood was oozing from her nose. She also had bruises on her waist area and apparently, her clothes were torn.

Police preliminary investigations had revealed that the deceased and an identified group of people were at a party drinking and having fun in a house marked B03 on the second floor belonging to Chepkoech.

According to detectives, the party went on in the said house and it is confirmed that the three suspects were physically present in the house during the fateful night.

Detectives had evidence that ascertained that the deceased was in that party until she was found dead early in the morning. When questioned on her whereabouts, the three gave contradicting statements.

The body of the deceased is at the city mortuary awaiting postmortem.

It is said that the house belongs to Chepkoech and in attendance were  Aluoch and Mang’ula.

Njeri also attended the party but what the three don’t agree on is when she left the party, how she ended up dead in a flower bed, and how no one knows what killed her.

More on News