Last prosecution witness in Willie Kimani murder case testifies in court

Wednesday, September 8th, 2021 12:51 |
The late lawyer Willie Kimani.

The last prosecution witness in the lawyer Willie Kimani and two others murder trial took to the stand on Tuesday and explained how they linked the four officers with the murder of the trio.

DCI Detective Clement Mwangi, a lead investigator in the case, explained to the court how a pocket radio led investigators to the killing site sealing the fate of the four police officers.

The officers are: Fredrick Leliman, Stephen Cheburet, Sylvia Wanjiku and Leonard Maina Mwangi.

Police informer Peter Ngugi is charged alongside the four officers with the gruesome murder of lawyer Willie Kimani, his client Josephat Mwenda and driver Joseph Muiruri.

In his testimony, Mwangi explained how the coordinates of the pocket radio recovered from Leliman led them to the murder scene two days after it was taken from him.

Before their arrest, the court heard that the case was being handled as a 'missing person' case and had summoned Leliman, Mwangi, Cheburet and Sylvia since the preliminary investigations had established that three deceased persons had been held at the Syokimau AP Camp.

The court heard that Cheburet, who was in charge of the AP Camp and was also on duty the said day, was summoned to explain how the three deceased persons had arrived at the AP post and their entry not made in the OB as required.

“Leliman was summoned on the basis of a complaint made by Josephat Mwenda to IPOA.

Wanjiku on the other hand was on duty at the office and was the custodian of the keys to the cells where the three had been held.

We wanted her to explain why she received the three deceased persons, held them and later handed them over to whoever had brought them to the post,” stated Mwangi.

Mwangi told the court that they interrogated the three and they all denied involvement in the disappearance of the three deceased and their subsequent murder claiming they had not been held at the Camp.

When the bodies were later recovered, Mwangi told the court that they divided themselves into three syndicates to solve the murder.

One group was to do forensics investigations and Analysis, the other group was to visit scenes of crime and document while the other one was to summon witnesses, record their statements and receive evidence collected by other syndicates.

On 3rd July 2016, led by Inspector Ole Sena, the Investigation team following the coordinates of the radio recovered from Leliman, went to Soweto Area Mlolongo where they found an area with disturbed grass.

“According to Ole Sena, the radio was within that place from 7pm up to midnight… it was an isolated place and according to the environment, we suspected the disturbed grass could be the scene of murder,” Mwangi told the court.

The DCI detective revealed that it was at that scene where they met two key witnesses who placed the suspects at the scene.

One of the witnesses, Agnes Wayua, confirmed to have spotted vehicles and people along the park leading their homestead at night as she was fetching water from the water tank.

“She became suspicious leading her to inform PC Paul Mitambo who was her tenant and a police officer working at Mlolongo,” Mwangi told the court.

The court heard that Wayua, the officer, and three other relatives proceeded to where the vehicles were parked and upon inquiry, the said people were confirmed to be police officers on ambush duties.

“Mitambo gave a clear description of the said people… he said that one of the person was short with a medium belly, dark and was having a pocket phone.

The other one was tall, brown and was smoking cigarette, the third was covering himself with a red checked Maasai shuka,” said Mwangi.

The detective told the court that they summoned all members of Spiv team who was headed by Leliman, interrogated them and recorded their statements and later decided that each of their houses to be visited for purpose of conducting search.

Upon conduct of Mwangi’s house,a red checked Maasai Chuka was recovered, police pocket radio and Mulei supermarkets paper bags which were similar to the others that the deceased persons had been strangled with.

Mwangi told the court that on July 5, 2016, they visited the suspected scene at Soweto together with the officers from crime scene support services where they were able to collect exhibits.

“Eight cigarettes butts were collected and after processing the scene, an exhibit memo was prepared by Ole Sena with all exhibits recovered and taken to the government Chemist,” he told the court.

The hearing proceeds today.

More on News