Just when AFC Leopards decided to honour their league matches after a go slow over the weekend

Wednesday, August 4th, 2021 00:00 |
City Star’s striker Ezekiel Odera (right) celebrates after scoring against his former employers at Ruaraka Stadium yesterday. Photo/PD/DAVID NDOLO

Former AFC Leopards forward Ezekiel Odera returned to haunt his former employers when his goal helped Nairobi City Stars beat AFC Leopards 2-1 in a mid week Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Premier League match at the Ruaraka Stadium.

Leopards, who honoured their league match after a go slow at the weekend, hoped for a winning return to the campaign, but goals on each half from Odera and Nicholas Kipkirui cancelled out Washington Munene’s 63rd minute free-kick and effectively killed their chances of winning the compatition.

The boycott saw them skip their fixture against rivals Gor Mahia and they were both fined Sh10 million by the federation

Odera opened the scoring for City Stars in the 34th minute through a header following a good delivery by Bolton Omwenga to go to the break with a 1-0 lead.

Ingwe came back pressing hard in the second half through Peter Thiongo and Harrison Mwenda but the organised City Stars backline hold on strong.

Five minutes after Munene’e ferocious free-kick leveled the scores, former Gor Mahia forward Kipkirui scored the winner after beating Benjamin Ochan with a tricky shot in the 68th minute.

Leopards drop one place to sixth with 41 points following their three points deduction on Sunday by the FKF after absconding their weekend fixture.

City Stars are now up to third on the log with 44 points off 29 matches. Meanwhile, Francis Nambute’s 89th minute strike earned Posta Rangers full points against visitors Vihiga United thanks to a 2-1 win at Thika Stadium, a result that leaves the Vihiga side staring at relegation again.

The match that was at 1-1 at the half time, saw Posta get the back of the net courtesy of a Michael Apudo’s goal.

The former Gor Mahia left-back stepped up to take a cool penalty past Morgan Ambuka in the 26th minute after Eliud Lokuwam was fouled in the box. 

The match spurred the visitors to begin chasing the game with waves of attacks and they were duly rewarded when in the 41st minute, Lawrence Luvanda was at the right place to tap home a Michael Isabwa cross for a well deserved equaliser.

Vihiga United who are currently at 16th and deep in relegation came alive in the second half.

Captain Mark Okola and Lawrence Luvanda were pushing the buttons and forcing Posta’s rearguard led by Faina Jacob and Kevin Ouma to be full-alert.

Benard Ondiek who was named man of the match was Posta’s driving force linking play and cutting attacks.

Nambute then was to make the difference as the tight encounter was decided in a flash at the end.

More on Sports