Jowie wanted paraffin to burn stuff on night of murder – Witness

Thursday, September 30th, 2021 00:00 |
Monica Kimani case.

The High Court yesterday heard how Joseph Irungu, alias Jowie, who is accused of murdering businesswoman Monica Kimani called a witness on the night she was killed asking for paraffin to “burn some stuff”.

Brian Kasaine, the second witness in the case against Jowie and television journalist Jacque Maribe, told Justice Grace Nzioka that he was asleep on the night of September 19 and 20, 2018 when Irungu called him asking for paraffin or something flammable or air freshener to burn some stuff.

Borrowed gun

“Irungu was my friend and neighbour at Royal Park estate in Langata. I told him I did not have those things he was asking for,” said the witness.

Kasaine (above) told the court that Irungu did not specify what kind of stuff he wanted to burn.

“On September 20, 2018 while asleep at around 2am, I was awakened by Irungu’s call asking for paraffin.

I got surprised at the request at such a late hour. I replied that I did not have any of the items he was requesting for,” Kasaine told court.

The witness also told the court that Irungu had on three occasions borrowed his firearm.

“Irungu borrowed my gun three times, saying he wanted to see if he had forgotten how to use a gun since he left the military,” said Kasaine.

He later met Irungu that at around 3pm that very day outside the house he shared with Maribe when he went to borrow his (Irungu) car to pick his son from school.

“Irungu was wearing a white vest and grey sweat pants. He was in deep thought and distracted. I noticed he was not his usual self,” he testified.

He said that jokingly, he asked Irungu why he had called him asking for paraffin and he replied that he had been in the company of a person he identified as Mo “for an assignment and had stabbed somebody”.

The witness recalled Irungu saying in Kiswahili: “Nilikuwa nataka kuchoma vitu fulani lakini nilitumia air freshener.”

As he said this, he gestured towards the empty plot across their house. Kasaine did not comment and instead picked the car keys and left.

The witness further told the court the next day, September 21, 2018, at 1am, he heard some noises at his gate he decided to go downstairs and check.

“I found Irungu lying in front of my gate bleeding. I asked him what had happened and saw his upper left chest area bleeding heavily,” Kasaine told the court.

He said Maribe was standing there shaking with her phone in her hands. She told Kasaine that Irungu had shot himself.

Kasaine said that Irungu started shouting at Maribe saying; “you want me out of your house, it’s fine, bury me in Langata.” He then went mute. 

All along, Maribe did not answer him, the court heard.

The witness further said Irungu asked him to go and secure the weapon. He rushed to his house and saw a trail of blood which led to the master bedroom. There were scattered bullets on the floor and the firearm.

“I picked up the firearm and identified it to be mine. There was one spent cartridge. There were also 28 rounds of ammunitions which i collected,” he added.

“With the help of Maribe, I took Irungu to Langata hospital but they referred me to Nairobi West hospital saying they did not have a theatre for wounds,” the witness explained.

“He could not be admitted since we had no Sh50,000 deposit. He was attended to and we left,” he stated.

More on News