It was sweet revenge for Vihiga side as they pipped CBE of Ethiopia to win Cecafa title

Friday, September 10th, 2021 00:00 |

Vihiga Queens are the inaugural Council for East and Central Africa Football Association (CECAFA) Women’s Club Champions League champions after edging out Commercial Bank of Ethiopia CBE FC 2-1, in an entertaining final played at Kasarani Stadium yesterday.

The jubilant Legacy Makers as Vihiga Queens are popularly known did not only claim bragging rights in the region, but the feat came with a Sh3 million (30,000 US Dollars) cash prize, and a trophy, but they also booked a ticket to the first-ever CAF Women’s Champions League, scheduled to take place in Caro, Egypt later in the year.

En route to being crowned regional champions, Vihiga Queens scored 25 goals in their five games, and conceded just six, showing their dominance in the competition and earning the title of worthy winners.

Big dignitaries in attendance watching the entertaining final were FIFA Secretary-General, Fatma Samoura, accompanied by FIFA’s Chief Women’s Football Officer, Sarai Bareman as well as a diehard fan and supporter of the Legacy Makers, Vihiga governor Wilber Khasilwa Ottichilo who ruched into the pitch in celebration after the final whistle.

During yesterday’s final, Jentrix Shikangwa scored both goals on each half. 

The victors took the lead in the 28th minute as their pressure at the start of the game paid dividends when Violet Wanyonyi charged on the right-wing, before her shot forced an error from the goalkeeper Tarikua Balcha and Shikangwa pounced on the lose ball to pock it into the net from close range.

The closest that CBE came in the first half was a shot on the turn from tournament top scorer Loza Geinore that, however, sailed just over the crossbar.

On resumption, CBE came out firing in the second half, and their troubles were dearly rewarded after a dangerous free-kick floated in from the right-wing found keeper Liliana Awuor out of goal, defender Vivian Makokha in haste to try to head the ball wide, agonisingly saw the ball go into her net to tie the match 1-1 in the 52nd minute.

More on Sports