Inquest reveals boy who died in bishop’s vehicle suffocated

Wednesday, June 9th, 2021 00:00 |
Deceased Emmanuel Wekesa’s father, Richard Wasike, in court when he testified before Mombasa Chief Magistrate Ednah Nyaloti during an inquest that started on Tuesday. Photo/PD/NDEGWA GATHUNGU

A six-year-old boy whose body was found inside a bishop’s car at the Ushindi Baptist Church in Likoni, Mombasa County three years ago died of suffocation, a post-mortem report has revealed.

The report, which was presented before Mombasa Chief Magistrate Ednah Nyaloti during the start of an inquest to establish circumstances that led to the death of Emmanuel Wekesa indicated that he succumbed to “consistent multiple organ failure caused by asphyxia or suffocation.”

It revealed that Wekesa’s digestive system had fresh food in the stomach, an indication that he died immediately after being kidnapped.

AutospyThe post-mortem was conducted at the Coast General Hospital on February 26 ,2018 by Dr Thabit Swaleh who also discovered that both lungs were congested.

Early decomposition

The deceased’s brain the report says, showed signs of early decomposition and vascular congestion.

On his part, the minor’s father, Richard Wasike narrated to the court how his immediate family accused him of offering his son as a sacrifice at the church.

“I just want to know the truth; I want justice for my son, l have been shunned and ostracised by my immediate family, l cannot be allowed to step foot in my upcountry home since they believe l offered my son as a sacrifice,” said the grief-stricken father.

He told the inquest how his son went missing during a Sunday School service at the church on February 25, 2018, only for his body to be discovered inside a motor vehicle registration number KBH 379N belonging to the church’s bishop Joseph Maisha.

“The vehicle where my son’s body was found is that of our bishop. l was informed of his death by a senior pastor at the church who told me my son had been found dead inside the bishop’s car,” he said.

He told the court that upon examination of his son’s body, he noticed that his left eye was swollen and there was some cotton wool on his head.

“I kept on asking myself how he had traces of cotton wool on his head while all along the vehicle windows and doors were locked,” he posed.

He revealed that the CCTV footage for the day his son went missing had mysteriously disappeared and efforts to have it reviewed have not borne any fruits, three and half years later.

“I had accompanied DCI officers to view the CCTV footage inside the church. All the other footage was recovered save for the one on the day my son disappeared.

The officers informed me that they would contact the person who installed the CCTV since he was in Malindi and upto date, I am yet to know his whereabouts,” he told the court.

The minor was found dead on the back seat of the bishop’s Toyota Corolla vehicle after he was left at the Sunday school service by his parents.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Hajji ordered for an inquest to be opened to establish the cause of Wasike’s death since investigations indicated that there was no conclusive evidence to charge Bishop Maisha with murder. Hearing resumes on September 8.

More on News