Homeboyz edge Nzoia to keep pressure on Gor

Monday, March 2nd, 2020 00:00 |
Wazito FC players celebrate Paul Kiongera’s goal in their league match yesterday. Photo/PD/DAVID NDOLO

Fred Likuyani and Charles Thuku

Allan Wanga stepped off the bench to claim three points for Kakamega Homeboyz as they maintained their four-point difference between them and leaders Gor Mahia in the race for the Kenyan Premier League title after a 3-2 win over Nzoia Sugar yesterday.

Playing at Bukhungu Stadium, the hosts suffered a major blow after their playmaker Shami Kibwana went off with a suspected ankle injury with former Nzoia star Stephen Etyang replacing him.

Homeboyz coach Nicholas Muyoti trusted Christopher Masinza to lead the attack with veteran Wanga on the bench as youngsters Peter Thiong’o and David Okoth were deployed on the flanks.

However, it is the visitors who went ahead courtesy of Peter Gin before veteran Phillip Muchuma doubled the advantage on the stroke of half-time. 

After the break, Muyoti brought in Wanga for Masinza and Ronald Otieno for Thiong’o hut had to wait until later to reap the rewards when Wanga scored an 83rd 93rd minute double before Benjamin Oketch won it for them just before the final whistle.

Victory leaves Homeboyz second with 47 points, four behind Gor Mahia who beat Western Stima 3-2 on Saturday.

Meanwhile, another title challenger KCB suffered a 2-1 loss to Bandari to stay fifth on the log with 41 points.

Johanna Mwita scored twice in a space of two minutes for Bandari before Dennis Odhiambo pulled a goal back for KCB with a powerful left footer.

Elsewhere, Wazito FC inflicted Zoo Kericho a demoralising 4-1 defeat although the team remains entrenched in the 13th position with 16 points from 21 matches.

Wazito dictated terms in the early moments and Dennis Ng’an’ga gave them the lead in the 22nd minute with a powerful free-kick that flew past Zoo goalkeeper Vincent Misikhu.

Collins Neto then equalised for Zoo with a powerful shot but Paul Kiongera and Ghanaian Augustine Otu made it 3-1. 

Wazito’s second half substitute Joe Waithera completed the rout with a classic goal in the 74th minute but received a yellow card for over-celebrating in the stands.

At Narok County Stadium, Posta Rangers came from a goal down to hold Mathare United to 1-1 draw.

Mathare had grabbed the lead through Crispin Oduor in the 67th minute before Francis Ambute equalised for Rangers in the 78th minute.

More on Football