Gor Mahia look set to miss out in the CAF Confed Cup

Monday, October 28th, 2019 00:00 |
Dickson Iyembe of Gor Mahia (left) fights for the ball with Ikoyo Iyembe of DC Motema Pembe during their CAF Confederation Cup match played at Kasarani Stadium yesterday. Photo/PD/RODGERS NDEGWA

Kenyan champions Gor Mahia look set to miss out on a third consecutive appearance in the CAF Confederation Cup group stage after contriving to throw away a precious lead to draw 1-1 in the first of a two-leg play-off with DC Motema Pembe of DRC at Kasarani Stadium yesterday.

K’Ogalo were rusty in the first half and survived several onslaughts but rallied to breach their opponents in the 61st minute courtesy of Ivorian substitute Gnamien Gislain who bundled the ball into the net after slaloming run into the box under tight marking.

The lanky Ivorian breathed fresh air into Gor Mahia’s play and capped his second appearance for K’Ogalo with the delightful finish.

Unfortunately, his effort only lasted nine minutes as a cocktail of errors by the hosts allowed the visitors to grab a leveller and took the game by its scruff henceforth.

Punched out

Casual play and slack defending saw Gor Mahia concede a needless free-kick when Wellington Ochieng clattered into Assumani Rachidi just outside the box. A male Mukoko drilled a fierce shot on target, leading to a second effort.

Goalkeeper David Mapigano punched the ball feebly back in play, allowing William Likuta to pounce from close range and equalise. The visitors gained impetus after drawing level but were harshly denied when defender Charles Momanyi deliberately blocked a goal-bound shot using his arm.

The defender was shown a straight red card and the visitors awarded a penalty. Having been at fault in Motema Pembe’s equaliser, goalkeeper Mapigano stood tall between the sticks and punched out the resultant penalty to preserve parity.

With one man down and their visitors charged, K’Ogalo defended desperately in the remaining minutes to retain a fighting chance when they travel to Congo next Sunday for the second leg.


Gor coach Steven Polack made a defensive change, bringing on Joachim Oluoch for Boniface Omondi to shore up the backline. The imbalance on the pitch created an end to end the contest as Motema Pembe went for the kill and K’Ogalo counter attacked.

One such counter-attack nearly yielded a second goal for Gor, Gislein Gnamien the goal scorer launching a marauding run only to be denied by a last-ditch lunge that bore a corner for Gor Mahia.

K’Ogalo looked out of sorts most of the game and committed numerous defensive errors. The visitors were lenient enough to let them off the hook but things could be different in the Stadium of Matyrs next Sunday.

The Kenyan champions also lacked sharpness in front of goal with the point man Nicholas Kipkirui guilty of directing a free header wide with the goal gaping after Boniface Omondi also missed a sitter. 

More on Football