Crisis at Thika hospital as staff down tools over pay

Friday, April 3rd, 2020 00:00 |
Some Thika Nursing Home medical staff address journalists outside the facility in Thika town, yesterday. Photo/PD/ Mathew Ndung’u

Mathew Ndung’u 

Operations at Thika Nursing Home in Kiambu county were yesterday paralysed after medics’ boycotted work, demanding their salaries.

 The nurses, clinical officers, pharmacists and subordinate staff were protestsing over unpaid dues for the last four months.

 Led by Dr Jackline Lumire, a medical officer at the facility, the  more than 80  workers claimed their employer has been taking them in circles every time they ask for their dues.

 “We are frustrated. Calling the press is actually our last resort because we have not been paid for the last four months. 

We have tried our best to wait but the most painful thing is that there is no communication from the management,” said Lumire. 

The medics declined to admit and attend to patients forcing the admitted patients to be discharged.

 “All services have stopped because honestly, you are telling someone to continue working without pay.

As other Kenyans stock for a possible total lockdown, we have been left to wallow in poverty. It’s sad,” she said.

 Addressing journalists outside the facility, the medics also accused the hospital management of failing to provide them with protective gear and sanitisers to protect them from contracting Covid-19 disease.

Service loans 

 Jenerica Wanjohi, who has served at the facility for over a year, said she has never experienced such difficulties in her over 40 years in the medical profession.

 “We are tired of borrowing and frustrations every time we ask what is rightfully ours.

Right now  I am unable to service loans and my creditors are on my neck. We don’t know what to do,” she said.

 The staff said they won’t resume duty until they get all their dues. 

 Efforts to reach the hospital management for a comment were initially futile as journalists were barred from meeting the administrator. 

 Later, the management called journalists and said they would pay all the staff by close of business today. 

More on National