Controversy in Machakos as dockers suffer from referee’s error

Monday, October 7th, 2019 12:00 |
Sofapaka’s George Maelo and Faina Jacobs battle for the ball with Abdallah Hassan of Bandari yesterday. Photo/PD/DAVID NDOLO.

James Magayi and Frederick Likuyani

Controversy marred a well-contested Kenyan Premier League (KPL) tie between Sofapaka and Bandari after Wycliffe Ochomo’s 83rd minute goal was erroneously ruled out for handball before Brian Nyakan pounced minutes later to give Sofapaka victory in Machakos yesterday.

Ochomo graciously guided Abdallah Hassan’s cross ball into the net using his midriff and the centre referee initially indicated his satisfaction by pointing to the centre of the pitch. 

However, persistent protests by Sofapaka players persuaded the referee to change his mind and hell broke loose.

Angry Bandari players led by Ochomo harangued the referee in counter protests, shoving him wildly with the situation threatening to turn ugly. The official stood his ground and minutes later Brian Otieno’s freak slip allowed Nyakan to score the winner for Sofapaka.

Peter Lwasa had put Sofapaka ahead with a low finish in the 5th minute but a ferocious strike by William Wadri 12 minutes into the second half levelled matters.

In Nakuru, defending champions Gor Mahia needed a late intervention from diminutive winger Boniface Omondi to claim maximum points in a feisty encounter against Zoo. 

The minnows had held their lines well keeping Gor at bay for most parts of the game.

A raft of second half substitutions by Steven Polack added impetus into K’Ogalo’s attack and when Bernard Ondiek, introduced from the bench, pulled the ball back into Zoo goal area with nine minutes left on the clock Omondi calmly slotted into the net to make the difference. 

The victory consolidated Gor’s lead at the top of league table with 12 points and a match at hand.

 Tusker winger Luke Namanda returned to hound his former employers Kakamega Homeboyz with the first goal as the visitors won 3-1 in a fast-paced match at Bukhungu Stadium.

Namanda at played a central role in the second goal as Tusker fought hard to grind a crucial away win.

It was the first home loss to Nicholas Muyoti’s charges who started the match brightly and would have easily won the match if they took all the chances created in the first half.

Veteran striker Allan Wanga saw his free header inside the box go a few inches wide after workaholic Stephen Etyang put him through in the 13th minute with Tusker shot-stopper Emery Muyekure already beaten.

More on Football