Bashir family demands justice after body found in mortuary

Monday, May 24th, 2021 00:00 |
Mohamud Bashir Mohammed.

Zadock Angira, Brian Malila and Nyaboga Kiage  

The frantic search for Mohamud Bashir Mohammed, the Somali-American contractor, who went missing on May 13 ended on Saturday evening at the Kerugoya Hospital mortuary, over 130 kilometres from where he was last seen.

It was a classic case of murder most foul, according to eye-witnesses and family members.

The body was found naked, dumped in the river, and had deep cut wounds on the head.

He had also bled from the mouth and nose, according to a report made at Wang’uru police station, Occurrence Book (OB) number 27/16/05/2021.

Mystery into the death of the businessman deepened yesterday with reports that the deceased, who had acquired a Kenyan identity card, was among others involved in ongoing political standoff in Somalia.

Yesterday, Bashir’s family said that it will not settle until they get to the bottom of the matter.

Through the spokesperson Osmar Omar, it appealed to the US State Department to request the Kenyan government to take immediate action and ensure that the killers are brought to book. 

Identification procedure

Kabete sub-county police commander Francis Wahome said already several people have recorded statements over the killing. 

The body was on Saturday evening positively identified by family members identified as Farah Keder Aden and Mohidin­ Ali Abdulahi at the mortuary, 10 days after he went missing.

 Area Assistant Chief George Mungai reported that the body was discovered at River Nyamidi near Mirera Catholic Church on May 16, at around 2pm.

Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officers from Mwea East and their counterparts from Wang’uru police station visited the river and found “a naked body of an unknown African male adult” believed to have been killed elsewhere and dumped at the river.

In a follow up report  OB 40/22/05/2021 recorded at 6.40pm –police said the body had been positively identified by two of his relatives.

Despite the daily media coverage where the photo of the deceased was always shown, it was not clear why the body remained at the morgue for six days.

When police recover unidentified bodies, they are searched for any documents to identify them.

However, if nothing is found, the fingerprints should be taken as soon as possible to help in revealing their identity.

A detailed report is then made including the sex, approximate age and height, dressing and the general physical appearance which is then circulated to all police stations across the country.

The fingerprints taken are then forwarded to the Registrar of Persons and the results are usually released immediately.

Bashir was last seen at Miale Lounge on Serenity Road in Lavington on May 13. He had gone there for a meeting and Eid celebrations at around 5pm.

His car, Range Rover registration number KCQ 007P was later captured by the cameras leaving the premises shortly past 6pm.

Vehicle blocked

At Miale, Bashir went to one of the cubicles on the left near the swimming pool. Some people are captured making calls as they keep an eye on the lounge where Bashir was seated.

 “Who are the three people and why were they focusing on where Bashir was seated and moments later, he went missing,?” posed Alibaya Hassan, who is Bashir’s lawyer.

As he left, he was seen tipping some security guards and a few seconds after leaving his vehicle was blocked by another vehicle.

 A commotion ensues, leading to a traffic snarl-up on the left lane. No vehicles are seen moving from the right side, an indication that a vehicle had blocked the road.

Also, curious pedestrians are seen looking at what could be a commotion near Bashir’s car. 

Investigations and data from mobile service providers revealed that the car was driven to Ngong road.

Nairobi region police commander Augustine Nthumbi said that was the last time both the phone and the car were traced. 

On May 16, the family reported the matter at Muthangari police station, OB number 25/16/05/2021. The same day, the deceased car was found in Ngong, Kibiku area.

More on News