Autopsy for Keroche owners’ daughter postponed for second time

Tuesday, May 5th, 2020 00:00 |
Tecra Muigai, the daughter of Keroche Breweries chief executive Tabitha Karanja. Tecra died after allegedly falling down the stairs at an apartment in Lamu. Photo/COURTESY

A post-mortem planned to establish the cause of death of Tecra Muigai, the daughter of the Keroche Breweries owners, was yesterday postponed for the second time after homicide detectives said there were some investigations to be completed.

Detectives from the Homicide Unit at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) yesterday visited the Lee Funeral Home where the body is lying as the other team camped in Lamu trying to reconstruct the scene.

The Chief Government pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor yesterday said they will conduct the autopsy after detectives have come up with a preliminary report about what actually transpired.

Later date

The post-mortem has been postponed to a later date. This is to enable detectives look at some facts. The date has however not been fixed,” Oduor said.

The head of the Investigations Bureau (IB) at the DCI headquarters John Kariuki also said the scene visit was necessary to establish some facts.

Already, the deceased’s boyfriend who was with her, Omar Lali has been arrested by the police and is still being interrogated.

The incident was not immediately reported to the police in Lamu and police said the family only reported the matter at Kilimani police station after she had been airlifted to Nairobi.

The family then immediately wrote to DCI to investigate the ‘tragic accident’ even before she died.

“He gave contradicting reports, initially saying the girlfriend fell off the stairs and later said in the bathroom. 

However, the deceased was found in the house unconscious with blood oozing from her mouth,” a senior detective said.

A number of people are set to be interrogated and their statement recorded. 

Detectives said the boyfriend had been giving contradicting reports about what transpired, prompting further probe and scene reconstruction.

 Preliminary investigations show that the deceased fell from the stairs at a private house in Shella on Lamu Island, where she was staying with Lali.

She was later rushed to King Fahad hospital before being airlifted to Nairobi.

More on National